How to get involved with La Voz News
La Voz News, De Anza's student newspaper since 1967, serves as a way for you to get involved on campus, as a reader and/or contributor. Learn how below, or drop by our lab in Room L41.
JOIN THE EDITORIAL STAFF as a reporter, photographer and/or graphic artist (3 units of credit)
- Become a reporter, photographer or graphic artist by enrolling in JOUR 61a (no prerequisite, no journalism experience required). Attend classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:45 p.m. in Room L42.
- Meet class requirements including weekly submissions to La Voz News.
APPLY TO BE AN EDITOR (3 units of credit)
- After taking JOUR 61a, apply for an editor position by emailing the adviser at email@example.com. (The letter should consist of an up-to-300 word summary which details your journalism experience and interest in a position.)
- If you are approved after an interview, enroll in JOUR 61c. You will be expected to meet class and editor position requirements.
FREELANCE FOR CREDIT (1 unit credit and permission to use lab/newsroom)
- Sign up for JOUR 62a, b, c, d, e or f (see schedule of classes)
- Contribute in the area of reporting, photojournalism, videojournalism, digital, graphics or copy editing for La Voz News. Attend the required orientation during the first week of the quarter.
- If you have an area of interest (sports, entertainment, news, etc.), introduce yourself to the section editor in that area.
WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OR A GUEST PERSPECTIVE
SHARE YOUR IDEAS
NOTE: Contributing to La Voz does not guarantee publication.