About Campus Budget
- Reviews district and college allocation and makes recommendations to the College Council.
- Presents overall budget picture to College Council.
- Sets guidelines for submitting requests.
- Determines criteria for evaluating proposals.
- Sets the budget calendar.
- Reviews all fund balances and revenues.
- Develops new budget policies.
- Establishes and communicates budget assumptions.
- Coordinates with governance councils when appropriate.
- Reviews all fund programs which have income from Fund 15 or a grant for analysis.
- Communicates with constituency.
- To recommend to the College Council the adequate allocation of resources in support of the College as set forth by the College Council.
- To support prudent budget management.
- To identify unfunded and under-funded activities and needs
- Each member will honor the topics and times of the meeting agenda; agendas and materials will be distributed in advance and all members will be prepared to participate fully in the entire meeting.
- Each participant will maintain a clear focus on the issues, goals, and purpose of the discussion, balancing college-wide priorities and constituency interests.
- Each member will present issues completely, accurately, honestly and without bias, using authentic primary sources of data and not selectively withholding information.
- Each member will encourage full and open participation by all participants and will demonstrate a respect for and willingness to listen to diverse opinions and viewpoints.
- Each participant will practice "active" listening skills in order to avoid pre-formulated responses, interruptions, and sidebar conversations.
- Each member will govern his/her interpersonal behavior on the basis of mutual respect and trust for one another and will avoid personal attacks, physical and verbal intimidation, asserting authority of position, and "negative talk."
- Each participant will work to bring issues to closure both within the team and within the decision making process.Each member will maintain the respect of the team discussions and will demonstrate support for consensus decisions of the team within and outside of the team meetings.
Each team member is empowered and responsible for enforcing these ground rules.
The following are guiding principles for the budget planning and development process at De Anza College.
- That the shared governance processes will guide the operations of the Campus Budget Committee.
- That any budget process and model will be enduring and flexible.
- That monies earned in the De Anza profit centers on campus remain on the De Anza campus.
- That unexpended funds carry over.
- That a capital funds (including purchase, repair and maintenance) formula will be integrated into the budget.
- That the budget process and forms are easily understood, user friendly, and well communicated with practical and known timelines.
- That the Campus Budget Committee strive to identify and avoid political pressure.
- That clear communication to the college community is essential.
- That budget planning will be pursued on a multi-year cycle.
- That the recommendations of the Campus Budget Committee will be supported by data and information.
- That the Campus Budget Committee will provide the College Council with a worst case, medium case, and best case budget proposal.
- That the Campus Budget Committee will design a process that will afford the College Council the ability to respond logically and timely to the situation.
- That the Campus Budget Committee will receive assistance in identifying external funding sources.
- That demographic data are an essential component in preparing a budget for the College Council.
- That a system of budget controls is essential.
- That clear, concise flow information and communication will occur.
Activities of Campus Budget Team
- Review District allocation and make recommendations to College Council on budget allocation using College Council goals and priorities
- Set guidelines for submitting requests
- Determine criteria for evaluating proposals
- Review all fund balances and revenues
- Present overall budget picture to College Council
- Provide for explicit budget information
- Develop new Budget Policies as needed
- Establish and communicate budget assumptions
- Affirm that a member from the Campus Budget Committee will also be a member of the District Finance Committee
Training Campus Budget Team Members
Members should be familiar with:
- The College goals and priorities
- Essential budget development concepts
- Reading and understanding Banner reports
- The District budget document with special emphasis placed on De Anza
- The use of relevant information technology with regard to financial data
- Essential budget development concepts