Support for Student Advocacy Efforts
February 24, 2012 — Message from Your Presidents
De Anza student leaders, together with the Institute for Community and Civic Engagement (ICCE), are participating in the statewide March 5 March in March 2012 in Sacramento to fight against budget cuts and advocate for higher education.
DASB is providing food and six buses to support and transport up to 300 students, faculty and staff to Sacramento for the day. In addition, throughout the week of Feb. 28-March 1, the Occupy for Education at De Anza tents will be on the main quad in order to provide information on budget cuts as well as on the march.
We wholeheartedly support their efforts and hope that you will also support them. Information and a list of sponsoring student groups are available here: www.deanza.edu/communityengagement/news-events/2011-2012/marchinmarch2012.html.
You can show your support by:
- Spreading the word about the march to Sacramento on March 5 to your colleagues and students, and going to the main quad for more information during the hours of 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from Tuesday, Feb. 28 through Thursday, March 1
- Joining the marchers in Sacramento
- If you are a manager or supervisor, excusing staff to attend the march if possible
If you are a faculty member, you can also show your support by:
- Excusing students to attend the march and considering rescheduling activities such as exams planned for March 5
- Giving extra credit or other incentive for attending (DASB will provide proof of attendance)
- If possible, having students report their experience from the march to their classmates and/or have a 10-minute dialogue with students about their experience
Some logistical information:
- Buses will depart form Parking Lot A at 6:30 a.m. on Monday, March 5.
- Students should arrive by 6 a.m., prepared to march in any weather, and complete a liability form.
- Buses will return to campus by 5 p.m.
We urge your support, however you can, of this important work by De Anza students. They inspire us with their dedication and commitment to their education, and to the college.
De Anza College President
Academic Senate President
Classified Senate President