Applying for Your F-1 Visa

Once you have received the Form I-20 from De Anza College (also known as a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status) , you will need to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.

  • Submit your F-1 visa application within 90 days of the reporting date that is typed on your Form I-20.
  • You should enter the United States within 30 days of the reporting date on your Form I-20.
  • You will need to pay a Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee and a visa application fee. You will also need to prepare documents and be interviewed.
  • If your visa application is approved, the U.S. embassy will place an F-1 visa sticker in your passport. You are now ready to purchase your airline ticket and make arrangements to attend De Anza College.

Documents You'll Need for Your Application

  • Form I-20
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of financial support
  • Proof of payment of SEVIS (I-901) fee 
  • Completed visa application Form DS-160 for all non-immigrant applicants

If Form DS-160 requires you to provice De Anza contact information, please list:

International Student Programs 
21250 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014 
Phone: 408.864.8826

Some Things to Know About the SEVIS Fee

  • All new F-1 students must pay the SEVIS fee
  • If you have been absent from the U.S. for more than five months, you must pay the SEVIS fee
  • If you are transferring from another U.S. school, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee
  • Dependents do not need to pay the SEVIS fee

Remember to print out your SEVIS fee receipt and keep it as proof of your payment. You will need to submit it with your visa application.

Be sure to contact: Tthe embassy or consulate  where you plan to apply, so you can ask about any additional required documents and fees, and to schedule a visa interview.

Canadian citizens: do not need to apply for a visa, but must pay the SEVIS fee and will need to show proof of payment at the place you enter the United States.

 Here's What You Need to Enter the USA

  • Form I-20 (Be sure to have the most updated for the quarter you plan on entering the U.S. for)
  • Valid passport (at least 6 months into the future)
  • F-1 visa (placed in your passport by the American Embassy or U.S. Consulate)
  • Proof of financial support 
  • Proof of payment of SEVIS (I-901) fee  (attach a copy of the fee receipt to the back of your Form I-20)
  • We also encourage all students to bring: a copy of their full time enrollment (12 units minimum) for the upcoming quarter.

Additional Information

Back to Top