General Meeting Information

Date: January 22, 2024
Time: 2:30-4:30 PM
Location: MLC 255

This meeting will be held HyFlex, meaning anyone can participate in-person or online.  To join remotely, see the Zoom information at the bottom of this page.

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader

    I. Call to Order


    Voting and Associate members joining us online, please turn your cameras on and add "VM" to your zoom name to help identify you to the public.
    (Please complete your report out if you haven't already)

    I All
    2:30-2:35 Approval of Agenda and Minutes from December 4, 2023 I/D/A All

    Public Comment

    I All

    II. Consent Calendar


    Approval of Consent Calendar

    • Resource Allocation and Program Planning (RAPP): Executive Secretary -- Denica Kelly
    • District Diversity and Equity Advisory Committee (DDEAC): AS Representative -- Cheryl Balm
    I/D/A Guitron

    III. Needs and Confirmations


    District and College Needs (Attachment)

    • J1 Training and Implementation Committee
    I/D Guitron


    • Regina Stanback Stroud Diversity Award, sponsored this year by the Foundation for California Community Colleges: Nominee -- Felisa Vilaubi
    • Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) Committee Volunteers -- Catherina Wong, Betty Inoue, Patty Guitron
    I/D/A Guitron

    IV. New & Continuing Business


    Financial Update

    Financial Report Winter 2024

    I/D Lee

    Academic Senate Membership Drive

    I/D Woodbury

    Curriculum Committee Update:





    Measure G Update: Discussion of Event Center Funds and potential redistribution 

    I/D Woodbury

    Training and Support for RSI/Online Teaching: Developing a model 

    D Woodbury

    Good of the Order
    Report Out Highlights

    Please review all report outs

    I All



    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes

    I. Call to Order


    Erik Woodbury reminded members to fill out their report out.

    Welcome to everyone.  Especially new Senate executive members: Catie Cadge-Moore IIS, Vernon Gallegos CA, Li Wei Sun CTE, Cheryl Balm, PSME, Lisa Mesh, PSME, Cecilia Hui ASLR, and Catherina Wong Curriculum Committee.

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from December 4, 2023

    The agenda was amended with the addition of the SLO committee to the confirmation items. Mary Donahue moved, Jayanti Singh seconded to approve the agenda as amended. No objection.

    LK Sengupta moved, Mary Donabue seconded to approve minutes. No objection.

    Agenda and minutes approved by unanimous consent.

    Public Comment

    So Kam Lee: Senate meet-and-greet potluck, January 29, 12:30 to 2:00. Everyone enjoyed the Senate meet-and-greet lunch last quarter. Signup link in the report-out.

    Ravjeet Singh: Can someone outside the Senate make a public comment? Yes, anyone from the public may speak during Public Comment. 

    Ravjeet: What is the deadline for getting items on the agenda? Items for the agenda should be submitted before the officers’ meeting on Wednesday. The agenda has to be finalized by Thursday.

    Mark Landefeld: The District Affordable Housing Task Force will be going to the next board meeting. They need people’s feedback and opinions on the projects. No site has been selected. If the housing site is on the De Anza campus, this will be the biggest change to the Stevens Creek side of the campus since the opening of the college. There is another mega project, the county health medical center. 

    Consultants have been working on housing proposals for the board trustees.There was a request for this to be a discussion item on the agenda.

    An urgent request from VPI Christina Espinosa-Pieb to add to the agenda: the approval of the Hiring Committee for the Interim Dean of Creative Arts. The committee wanted to meet the next day.

    Shagun Kaur moved to add this new item to the agenda, Mary Donahue seconded. No objections. Motion approved.

    II. Consent Calendar

    Approval of Consent Calendar

    Resource Allocation and Program Planning (RAPP): Executive Secretary -- Denica Kelly

    District Diversity and Equity Advisory Committee (DDEAC): AS Representative -- Cheryl Balm

    Cheryl Balm moved to approve the consent calendar, Mary Donahue seconded. No objections. Appointments approved by unanimous consent.

    III. Needs and Confirmation

    District and College Needs (Attachment)

    J1 Training and Implementation Committee

    Cheryl Balm volunteered, Erik Woodbury seconded. No objections.

    Campus Center Advisory Committee

    Mary Pape volunteered, Cheryl Balm seconded.  No objection.

    See attachment for details on additional needs: Scholarship Committee and EO Reps. First time reps will need EO training to serve.


    Regina Stanback Stroud Diversity Award, sponsored by the Foundation for California Community Colleges:

    Nominee -- Felisa Vilaubi

    Sherwin Mendoza moved to approve, Mary Pape seconded. No objection. Nomination approved.

    SLO Committee-

    Patty Guitron, Catherina Wong, Betty Inoue. 

    Mary Pape moved to confirm, Elsa Jimenez-Samayoa seconded, No objection. Appointments approved.

    Creative Arts Interim Dean Hiring Committee

    This was a last minute addition. HR approved the Interim Dean position last Thursday. The Creative Arts Interim Dean responsibilities have been shared by Sam Bliss and Debbie Lee. Last Tuesday, Sam Bliss was confirmed to be the permanent AVPI starting in February. Debbie Lee has been dealing with a great deal of changes in the IIS division, especially with the state Ethnic Studies requirements. Therefore, there is an urgent need to fill this interim position for Creative Arts. 

    Hiring Committee members

    Christina Espinosa-Pieb (chair), Joshua Losben, Marco Marquez, Veronica Avila, Elvin Ramos, Manisha Karia, Mary Medrano.

    Mary Pape moved to approve committee, Ravjeet Singh seconded. No objection. Committee confirmed.

    IV. New & Continuing Business

    Financial Update

    So Kam Lee presented the Financial Report Winter 2024

    Academic Senate Membership Drive

    Erik Woodbury explained that the Senate funds come from membership dues. All faculty are Academic Senate members but not all are fee paying members. Currently, there are 130 fee paying members. That is about one sixth of the active faculty members.

    The Senate funds allows the officers to attend the ASCCC Plenary, offer scholarships, fund specific faculty initiatives, as well as support, develop, and implement new projects and ideas.

    The Senate spending has been low during the pandemic. However, with the proposed expenditures and current income, the Senate will be running in a deficit.

    Erik preferred to Increase participation rather than raising dues. He set the goal to recruit 200 new paying members. The Senate Bylaws suggest that all serving members be paying members.  He encouraged those in the room to sign up and to help with the membership drive. 

    People may use the link below to sign-up.

    Membership Drive

    There will be a Membership Drive link in the Senate website.

    He also proposed to allocate the increased funds from the new dues toward the Scholarship Endowment Fund.

    Curriculum Committee Update:

    Erik Woodbury introduced Catherina Wong as the new Curriculum Co-chair.

    The Senate had a first read and discussion over proposed policy, forms, and updates from the Curriculum Committee. The policy and forms have been reviewed and approved by the Curriculum Committee. 

    Proposed: Course Sunset Policy (first read)

    Erik Woodbury explained the reasons for the Course Sunset Policy and its implementation. If a course is not offered within 3 years, they will initiate the sunset policy. The course owner,

    department chair or dean, must respond with a retention or deletion request. There were some comments and discussions on this item. See attached draft above.

    Shagun asked about how this may apply to the Honors option for a course. 

    Proposed: Course & Program Proposal Forms (first read)

    Representatives should review and get feedback from their constituents on these forms for discussions and votes in the next meeting. 

    Catherina Wong explained the  Associate Degree Updates

    The Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges approved changes entitled “Associate Degree Requirements,” that became effective November 16, 2023. 

    Community college districts have 180 days to conform their policies and procedures to the requirements. 

    Summary of changes pertinent to Curriculum Compliance: 

    1. Title 5, Section 55061 requires that each California Community College maintain a General Education (GE) pattern that aligns with Cal-GETC; 
    2. Minimum number of General Education units in the range of 28 to 31.5 quarter units. 
    3. Regulates a General Education (GE) pattern that consists of more defined areas.

    New Title V, state came out with a number of revisions. Effective all, 2024. Align more with Cal-GETC, need to add areas and move classes around, have it ready by fall, timeline is super short. Page 2 of the update has a comparison chart that shows how the new Title V pattern relate to the current areas.  

    There is a short timeline to complete the Cal-GETC alignment that will require adding and moving classes by May 15, effective Fall 2024. 

    Form a sub-committee with representation from instruction, administration, and the articulation officer. The committee will meet 2-3 times in February and March, vote by April. The office will finish the necessary paperwork.

    Measure G Update: Discussion of Event Center Funds and potential redistribution 

    Erik Woodbury went over the Measure G Update in the Report-out.

    The Board has not specifically approved any projects. It is still an open process. The Measure G Task Force put in a great deal of effort last year on their proposals.There was a lot of frustration and confusion over the current Measure G status. De Anza has related their concerns to the Board.

    There were questions about electrification and how that fits into the Measure G mandate.

    Someone pointed out that the last board meeting was from January 2023. What is the best way to voice this concern? Sending an email may be the best way. 

    There were strong emotions over the current holding pattern with valid needs on both campuses. The money dedicated toward the Event Center should go toward instructional needs, especially the Creative Arts Quad that needs significant reconstruction, not just fixes. 

    People need to go back to the campaign promises made in the Measure G ballot proposal.

    Someone suggested writing a resolution to voice the De Anza faculty concerns.

    A Senate resolution regarding Measure G in support of Creative Arts was sent to the Board and President Holmes last year.

    Training and Support for RSI/Online Teaching: Developing a model

    There will be a joint meeting with Foothill to discuss this on Feb 26. The meeting will be held by HyFlex at De Anza.

    The Senate will have 3 more meetings to go over the topics like Training, Credit for Prior Training, Evaluation Mechanism, Compensation, Bargaining points.

    The goal of the joint meeting is to align as closely as possible the visions of the two campuses. The requirements and compensation will need to be negotiated by FA

    Online Education proposed that the training on Course design, RSI, Accessibility will take 36 hours. That does not include the Canvas training.

    The training will provide tools for new hires to teach online.  It will also provide retraining for the veterans to continue to teach online.

    Good of the Order

    Mary Donahue. Please tell your students: Winter Club Day is this Thursday, Jan. 25! Stop by the Sunken Garden from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for information, entertainment and more. Meet representatives from more than 50 clubs or speak with Inter Club Council members about starting your own club! (Potentially postponed for a week if it rains.) Outdoor Club coming adventures can always be found at:

    Shagun Kaur: For folks new to or interested in OER, there will be a series of weekly webinars every Thursday from 11:30 – 1:00 pm giving an overview of OER. The first one starts Feb 1st .  The report out has details on dates and topics.

    Please review all report outs


    Shagun Kaur motioned, Mary Pape seconded, to adjourn, no objection.


    In person

    Erik Woodbury, Patty Guitron, So Kam Lee

    Cheryl Balm, Mary Donahue, Kevin Glapion, Elsa Jimenez-Samayoa, Rusty Johnson, Shagun Kaur, Sherwin Mendoza, Catie Cadge-Moore, Mary Pape, Jayanti Roy, Lakshmikanta "LK" Sengupta, Ravjeet Singh, Li Wei Sun, James Tallent, Glynn Wallis, Catherina Wong, *Lydia Wong


    Mirsaeid Abolghasemi, Cecilia Hui, Lauren Gordon, Mark Landefeld, *Thomas Ray


    *Deborah Armstrong, Sheldon Fields, Vernon Gallegos, Anna Nguyen, Lisa Mesh, Liliana Rivera, Christian Rodriguez, Felisa Vilaubi 

Meeting URL:  

Meeting ID: 834 3947 7181
Passcode: 996594

Member   Remote Location   In District?  
Mary Donahue (PT) MLC 243, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014 Yes
Mark Landefeld (PE & Athletics)   PE 51a, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014 Yes
Mirsaeid Abolghasemi 101 W.Weddell Dr., Sunnyvale, CA 94089 Yes
Lauren Gordon F 31g, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014 Yes
Cecilia Hui 1230 S Blaney Ave, San Jose, CA 95129 Yes

Back to Top