General Meeting Information

Date: October 11, 2021
Time: 2:30 - 4:20 p.m.
Location: Zoom

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader


    (representatives who have not updated their report-out and wish to, please do so)

    D All
    2:35-2:40 Approval of Agenda and Minutes from Oct. 4, 2021 I/D/A Balm, Lee

    Public Comment on Items Not On Agenda

    (Senate cannot discuss or take action)

    I All

    Orientation and Ideas to Guide Reps New and Old:  How can you communicate with and get ideas from your constituents?

    • Cheat sheets on 10+1 and Roberts Rules in the Sept. 20, 2021 agenda
    • Mini notes, email lists and other ideas for two-way communication (breakout rooms?)
    • Outlook forms embedded in emails
    I/D Balm, Pape, All

    Needs and Confirmations

    Summary Details

    I/D/A Pape

    Removal of E4E grant

    (Tabled from last week's meeting)



    Introductions and Virtual Posters (Part 2)

    (Tabled from last week's meeting)



    Goals and Priorities:  Continuing with the worksheet, grounded in the 10+1

    • 5 minute recap
    • 10 minutes in breakout rooms by area
    • 15 minute full group discussion
    D Balm, All

    FHDA Affordable Housing Taskforce update

    I/D Reed

    Report-outs and Good of the Order: Continuing to use the new interactive system for written and verbal reports and conversations from around the college

    I/D All

    To request to add an item to the agenda of a future Academic Senate meeting, email by noon on the Wednesday before.

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes


    Cheryl reminded representatives who have not updated their report-out to fill out their reports

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from Oct. 4, 2021

    • Mark moved to approve the minutes, Erik seconded and amended the motion to include the agenda. Mark had no issues with the addition.
    • Cecilia noted a correction for the minutes.
    • No objection to unanimous consent.
    • Agenda approved and Minutes approved with edit

    Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)

    • Lee: Oct 28 virtual One Book fireside chat with author Alicia Garza. They are seeking student questions for the moderated portion of the event. She has reached out to the Student Academic Senate to join as co-moderators to choose and rank the questions. More details in the report-out.
    • Wendy White continued to express her concern over film access for her classes. She has spoken with Lydia Hearn. Over the weekend one of the documentary series reappeared in Kanapy while another disappeared in Films on Demand. She called upon the Academic Senate to investigate the situation to see if it is unique or more widespread. Last week Mae Lee spoke about her experience with Kanapy. Wendy’s current issue is with Films on Demand. It is a matter of great concern for her.
    • Mary D: This quarter's last day for students to add a class was the day after the deadline for students to submit proof of vaccination or request a waiver. She suggested the deadlines for Winter quarter be better scheduled and communicated to everyone.
    • Erik proposed adding a summary of the Senior Staff Meetings to the Report-out for people who cannot attend the meetings. 
    • Cheryl has put notes from that morning’s Senior Staff Meeting in the Report-out.
    • Mary D shared that next week’s Senior Staff Meeting will be devoted to Covid and plans for return to campus.
    • Anyone with questions or comments for the Senior Staff Meeting can submit them to the officers by the weekend prior to the Monday meeting.

    Orientation and Ideas to Guide Reps New and Old

    There have been many new reps since last Spring and this quarter. Also, there have been faculty considering joining the Senate and they have  raised questions about the senate rep’s roles and duties as well as Robert’s Rules.   

    Cheryl shared the cheat sheets on 10+1 and Robert’s Rules in the Sept. 20, 2021 agenda.  The 10+1 stated the Academic Senate purview that will guide the goals and priorities for this body. Knowing Robert's Rules would help run the meetings more efficiently. 

    How can reps communicate with and get ideas from their constituents?

    Mini notes, email lists and other ideas for two-way communication. 

    Cheryl shared the weekly email she shared out to her division when she was the PSME senate rep either on Mondays right after the meeting or on Tuesday mornings. Those were quick notes, literally bullet points, on things that mattered to her division. She worked with her division assistant to send the notes out through their listserv.

    Mary P shared and demonstrated how she used outlook forms embedded in emails to send out her requests for Needs and Confirmation. That would be a nice way to communicate and interact with constituents and divisions to get feedback.

    People went into breakout rooms designated by areas to share and discuss ways to communicate effectively. The rooms were CTE, STEM, Humanities, Student Services, Counseling, Student Development.

    Needs and Confirmations

    I. Tenure Review Committee for Andrew Lazar
    Andrew Lazar, Math Instructor, Math Performance Success (MPS)
    Jerry Rosenberg, Dean, PSME
    Nahrin Rashid, PSME: Mathematics Instructor
    Roderic Taylor, PSME: Mathematics Instructor 
    Betty Inoue, Counselor: Counseling, At-large

    ​​II. Nursing Faculty Hiring Committee
    This committee will be hiring multiple positions.
    They will keep the maximum number at 7 members.
    Anita Muthyala-Kandula, Dean, chair of committee 
    Sana Massad, Nursing Director (admin) 
    Maureen Miramontes, HTEC (faculty) 
    Jason Bram, Biology ( faculty) 
    Anna Miller, Nutrition ( faculty) 
    Thomas Bailey, Nursing (staff) 
    Monica Garcia, EO Rep

    Erik moved to confirm both committees, Mark seconded, no objection. Committees approved.

    III. There is a need for three faculty members to serve on Campus Facilities Committee 
    Bill Wishart, Applied Technologies: Automotive Technologies was confirmed 10/4/2021 

    The committee meets the fourth Tuesday of each quarter and as needed.  The first meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, October 12 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

    Volunteer for the second position
    Andrew Stoddard, Business, Computer Science and Applied Technologies Division DMT Full-time Tenured.

    IV. There is a need for two faculty members to serve on Campus Center Advisory Board.
    The committee meets the fourth Monday of each quarter and as needed.  The first meeting is tentatively scheduled for Monday, October 11, 2021, from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

    Andrew Stoddard, Business, Computer Science and Applied Technologies Division DMT Full-time Tenured

    Bob moved, Lisa seconded to approve Andrew Stoddard to serve on both, the Campus Facilities Committee and the Campus Center Advisory Board. No objection. Andrew Stoddard confirmed.

    Mary reminded that there was still one more opening in each of these committees. 

    V. Need for IPBT Faculty member to serve on IPBT
    Andrew Stoddard, Business, Computer Science and Applied Technologies Division DMT Full-time Tenured

    Lisa moved, Rick seconded, to approve. No objection. Andrew Stoddard confirmed.

    College Planning Committee
    Seeks a representative from the Senate Executive Committee to serve on the College Planning Committee.
    Meets Thursdays, 3-4. As De Anza moves into accreditation, the committee will be working on institutional self reports. Mary P. asked the executive members to respond and complete her questionnaire about serving on this committee. 
    Mary represented SLO on the committee, Cheryl served as the Senate Executive member. She would like to give that position to someone else to get involved in the De Anza accreditation process. They hope to confirm someone at the next Senate meeting. The College Planning Committee meeting next Thursday will be very important for getting the process started.
    Summary Details

    Removal of E4E grant

    (Tabled from last week's meeting)

    In the Senate homepage the link to the E4E (Equality 4 Excellence) mini-grant was labeled as “draft.” It was co-sponsored by Chancellor Judy Miner and President Brian Murphy who was funding the grant. If the Senate wants to continue the grant, it needs to recreate and request funds. The Senate will need to form a new group to evaluate the grant proposals and requests.

    Mary D. asked if we could put it away until we were back on campus. She suggested that the link could be removed and later reinstated. The Outdoor Club has applied and has taken great advantage of the grant.

    Mary moved, Bob seconded to remove the E4E link, rubric, and application form from the De Anza website.

    Dawn: if the senate decided to take it off the website is it possible to put it back on the agenda and reopen the discussion in the future? She pointed that in addition to the smaller $50 grant, there is a larger $300 grant. This would remove an opportunity to request necessary funding.

    Vote to remove the E4E link, rubric, and application from the De Anza website; but to keep and archive the documents. Anyone may bring it back for discussion and action at any time.

    Yes 16, no 0, abstain 1

    All the documents will stay in the archive and are attached below to the minutes.

    De Anza Academic Senate Equity 4 Excellence Mini-Grant Proposal 
    E4E Rubric
    Mini-Grant Application

    Introductions and
    Virtual Posters (Part 2)

    (Tabled from last week's meeting)

    Cheryl, Dawn, Glynn, and Lauren shared their virtual posters. Senate members were encouraged to create these personal posters to introduce themselves and to get to know each other better through these personal sharings.

    Goals and Priorities:  Continuing with the
    worksheet, grounded in the 10+1

    The worksheet is a shared document that allows everyone editing rights. Cheryl has reorganized, edited, and combined some of the items in the previous worksheet without altering its main content. The intent is for the body to set some goals instead of being purely reactionary. Instead of 30 minutes, the time was reduced to the 5 minute recap and the 10 minutes breakout by areas and did not conclude the discussion as a group.

    The breakout rooms were CTE. STEM. Humanities, Student Services, Counseling, Student Development, Academic integrity, and Library.

    Cheryl encouraged everyone to continue working on the worksheet throughout the week.  The proposed goals will be further defined with actionable items and a timeline.

    FHDA Affordable Housing Taskforce Update

    The district was successful in passing a bond measure . The bond included $200 million to construct or purchase affordable housing for students, faculty, and staff. Currently, there are no projects on the table for that money. The district did look at a housing project in Mountain View that was far from both campuses and difficult for commuting by public transportation. 

    They pushed for a shared governance task force to help the district to establish the criteria for spending this fund, choosing a site, and establishing the qualification for its residents.  This group has met several times over the summer and will be meeting regularly this quarter.  

    In the last three weeks, the task force has Identified a possible project at Vallco Mall. A developer, Central Properties, is developing 2400 units at the mall and may be interested in selling some units as housing for students, faculty, and staff. The conversation is at an early stage.

    The Governor has just signed a bill for affordable housing for college students. There is $1 billion earmarked for community colleges in the next three years. There is a grant application for that money that is due October 31. The application for construction projects must be shovel ready. The Vallco projects do not qualify for that funding. $25 million of that funding has been set aside for planning grants for colleges to do feasibility studies.

    The task force sent a letter to Judy and to Susan recommending that the district apply for one of these planning grants to build housing on campus at Foothill and De Anza. There has been a lot of pushback on building housing on campus from the administration. However, with this opportunity they are hoping to move forward and advocate for on campus housing again.

    The response from Susan seemed discouraging. The task force is taking this as an opportunity to move forward. They will go ahead and put together an application over the next few weeks, pass it up to Susan and see what happens.

    Recommendation from the Affordable Housing Task Force

    Mark asked if the task force looked at the Orange Coast College project. Eric planned to look into it.

    Mary D pointed out the need for a low cost laundromat accessible to students. Students are living in cars and on a different couch each night. There have been plans for allowing enrolled students to live in their cars in the lower floor of the parking garage with separated areas for different groups. Those plans included having overnight restrooms, wifi access, etc.

    They had similar discussions at Foothill and people thought that it was a good idea.

    The idea for overnight stay in parking lots never went anywhere with the administration.

    Next step, next meeting, Thursday 10:30 to noon.

    On the agenda: Affordable Housing Planning Grant Application
    They will discuss how to move forward with the grant.


    Report-outs and Good of the Order: Continuing to use the new interactive system for written and verbal reports and conversations from around the college

    Under the Officers Report, Cheryl has put in items from the Senior Staff Q&A and will include the Chancellor’s Office Hour as suggested by Erik in Public Comment.

    Mary pointed out the due date for the Resource Request October 22.
    The Shared Governance Task Force will be presenting their proposal at the next College Council meeting.

    Cecilia reported that the Library is allowing students to check out materials for the whole quarter, including textbooks.

    10/11/2021 report-outs

    Good of the Order

    • Mary P: College Planning Committee will meet next Thursday, 3-5 pm.
    • Dawn: conference and travel funds are still available. Faculty may request up to $1600. The prohibited states for travel funds are Alabama. Arkansas.Florida. Idaho. Iowa. Kansas. Kentucky. Mississippi.
    • Mary D: De Anza Outdoor Club will be kayaking in Monterey on Sunday, next trip will be May 15 or 22
    • Glynn: BFSA is planning several events. Sickle cell blood drive; black student welcoming day for new and returning students, October 29, 5 to 6:30 pm; preparing for MLK day event as well as other black history month events.
    • Lisa: Transfer Day, this Wednesday. Encourage students to attend.
    • Erik motioned, Mark seconded, to adjourn, no objection.





    Cheryl Balm


    Mary Pape

    Executive Secretary

    So Kam Lee

    Part-time Faculty Representatives

    Ishmael Tarikh

    Mary Donahue

    Academic Services & 
    Learning Resources

    Cecilia Hui

    Bio/Health/Environmental Sciences 

    Robert Kalpin

    Anna Miller

    Business/Computer Science/
    Applied Technologies

    Rick Maynard


    Career Technical Education & Workforce Development



    Counseling - General

    Robert Alexander

    Lisa Castro

     Counseling - Embedded

    Felisa Vilaubi

    Helen Pang

    Creative Arts  



    Disability Support Programs & Services and Adapted PE 

    Kevin Glapion

    Anita Vazifdar

    Equity and Engagement

    Liliana Rivera

    Intercultural/International Studies



    Language Arts 

    Shagun Kaur

    Lauren Gordon

    Physical Education 

    Louise Ortiz

    Mark Landefeld (F)

    Physical Sciences, Math, & Engineering

    Lisa Mesh


    Social Sciences & Humanities

    Emily Beggs

    Nellie Vargas

    Student Development & EOPS

    Melinda Hughes

    Curriculum Committee

    Erik Woodbury

    Professional Development*

    Dawn Lee Tu

    Administrator Liaison*

    Lydia Hearn

    DASG Representatives*

    Dimitri Yanovskyi

    Adel Burieva

    Faculty Association Representative*

    Mary Donahue

    Affinity Group Representatives*

    Glynn Wallis, BFSA

    *non-voting member





    Lloyd Holmes

    De Anza President

    Rob Miesa

    VP of Student Services

    Christina Espinosa-Pieb

    VP of Instruction

    Pam Grey

    VP of Administrative Services

    Hyon Chu Yi-Baker

    Director of College Life & Student Judicial Affairs


    Marisa Spatafore

    Associate VP of Communications & External Relations


    Classified Senate

    Michelle Fernandez

    De Anza Student Trustee

    Mallory Newell

    Institutional Research

    Moaty Fayek

    Dean of Business/Computer Info Systems

    Renee Augenstein

    Articulation Officer

    Brian Malone

    Tenure Review Coordinator

    Daniel Smith

    Dean of Creative Arts

    Eric Mendoza

    Dean of Physical Education and Athletics

    Thomas Ray

    Dean of Language Arts

    Alicia Cortez

    Dean of Equity and Engagement

    Randy Bryant

    Dean of Career & Technical Education (CTE)

    Kathryn Maurer

    Foothill Academic Senate President

    Karen Chow

    FHDA District Academic Senate President

    Laureen Balducci

    Dean of Counseling, DSPS & Title IX Coordinator

    Anita Kandula

    Dean of Biological, Health, and Environmental Sciences

    Michele LeBleu-Burns

    Dean of Student Development/EOPS

    Lisa Mandy

    Director of Financial Aid

    Nazy Gayloyan

    Dean of Enrollment Services

    Edmundo Norte

    Dean of Intercultural/International Studies

    Jerry Rosenberg

    Dean of Physical Sciences, Math & Engineering

    Judy Miner

    FHDA Chancellor

    Elvin Ramos

    Dean of Social Sciences and Humanities

    Patrick Gannon

    Director, Book Store

    David Ulate

    FHDA Research & Planning

    Mae Lee

    Curriculum Committee Vice-Chair

    Tabia Lee

    Faculty Director of Equity, Social Justice & Multicultural Education

    Tim Harper


Zoom Information 

Meeting URL:

Meeting ID: 985 9877 0352
Passcode: 581358

Phone one-tap: +14086380968,,98598770352# US (San Jose) 

Back to Top