General Meeting Information

Date: October 7, 2019
Time: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Location: ADM 109

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    2:30 -2:35 p.m. Approval of Agenda & Minutes from September 30, 2019 meeting A
    • Chow
    • All
    2:35 - 2:50 p.m. Print Services Changes I Gannon
    2:50 - 3 p.m. Public Comment on items not on agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action) I All
    3 - 3:20 p.m. Needs and Confirmations I/D/A Pape
    3:20 - 3:35 p.m. De Anza Mascot Change


    Spatafore, DASM Subcommittee Members

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes


     Karen Chow, Mary Pape, So Kam Lee, Ishmael Tarikh, Mary Donahue, Paul Klingman, Pete Vernazza, Bob Kalpin, Ron Dunn,  Betty Inoue, Barb Dahlke, Anita Vazifdar, Terrence Mullens,Lisa Mesh, LA Julie Wilson, Susan Thomas, Daniel Solomon, Rusty Johnson, Tom Dolen, Mary Sullivan, Cynthia Kaufman

    Meeting Items

    Approval of Agenda and Minutes from September 30, 2019
    • Agenda approved.
    • Minutes approved.

    Print Services Changes
    • Patrick Gannon (now manages bookstore, print shop and food services) provided updates on changes to print services for faculty, staff, and students. Front door to the Print Shop has been closed. Use back entrance, around the corner. Hours: Monday-Thursday 7 am to 6 pm, Friday 7 am to noon. Student print service has been moved to the Bookstore. Hours: Mon-Thu 7:30 to 5:30 Friday 7:30 to noon.
    • Mary D suggests signs at eye level from Convenience Store entrance.
    • Patrick: Best to order print job through email. There is a new print order form. Allow time for printing to be delivered through inter-campus mail.
    • Susan: back door sign is confusing, have sign that says “Enter Here.”
    • e-print is still available in campus center and library for students.
    • Thomas: E-print is District operation and is completely separate from the new copy service.
    • Students who do not have a debit or credit card cannot use E-print. I Gannon 2:50 – 3:00

    Public Comment on items not on Agenda (Senate cannot discuss or take action)
    • Terrence has issues with his classroom being in disarray in the morning.
    • Thomas: Contact Dean of faculty member using that room.
    • Mary D: some faculty may prefer circles rather than rows of chairs.
    • Thomas: classroom set-up should be returned to its original format.
    • Tom: Contact Professional Relations Committee to help smooth out situations.
    • How can we help each other to have smoother transitions?

    Needs and Confirmations
    • Tenure Review Committee, for tenure candidate Abeer Alameer, CIS Faculty
      • Clare Nguyen, Mike Appio, Moaty Fayek, Ron Dunn (at large)
      • Mary D motioned, Terrence second, confirmed, no opposition.
    • Tenure Review Committee for Kelly Lundstrom, Mathematics Faculty
      • Doli Bambhani, Hassan Bourgoubm, Jerry Rosenberg, Cecilia Deck
      • Tom: why 2 Math faculty on committee; Mary P will question Jerry Rosenberg regarding appointment
      • deferred
    • Education Technology Committee (ETAC)
      • Lenore Desilets, Math, PSME
      • Terrence motioned, Mary D seconded, confirmed, no opposition.
    • Professional Committee I D A Pape
      • deferred
    • ACEFA Academic Calendar Exploration and Feasibility Analysis Task Force
      • ACEFA district task force is looking for 2 faculty rep from each FHDA campus.
      • Looking for members who are open-minded, willing to do research and explore and discuss parameters/challenges/benefits/pitfalls/rewards/opportunities that could result from a change in our academic calendar.
      • Karen read message from Doreen D, to be placed on Senate website link.
      • Looking for volunteers by Friday.
      • Wednesday afternoon meeting dates at Foothill as well as De Anza campuses, 1st meeting October 30.
      • Mary P: will put it in Needs and Confirmation.
      • Daniel: Why are meeting times set before the committee is formed?
      • Bob: this is not in accordance with Shared Governance

    De Anza Mascot Change
    • Susan moved, Terrence second to postpone discussion until presenter arrives. Approved without objection.
    • Marisa Spatafore: Last spring students were very interested in changing the college mascot, put out as a vote, overwhelming 75% vote, senior staff worked with students, consulted with PE, DASB/DASB, Broad, alumni
    • Christina mentioned it in Opening Day.
    • Juan Manuel Mafrquez: DASB senator, mascot committee, present mascot does not represent current De Anza value in a respectful way, survey all students, faculty, alumni.
    • Marisa shows survey choices, mostly lions and bears.
    • Tom: who came up with list? Answer: PE and students.
    • Mary D.: 2 coaches had suggested dragons. What happened to them?
    • Marisa: try to avoid offensive connotations.
    • Ishmael: why does write-in ask for an adjective for lions? It is a problem when a write-in is so suggestive.
    • Rusty: how many students voted? Current mascot is archaic, outdated, but would prefer list that does not include specific types of lions and bears and other animals but simplify list to just “lions, bears, wildcat, etc”.
    • Juan (DASB student on DASB Mascot subcommittee): tried to encourage maximum student participation.
    • Paul: like the idea of starting with animals and describe what kind later, have a table at Club Day on Thursday. I Spatafore, DASB Subcommittee Members
    • Juan: there's is a small window of time to egt it done.
    • Lisa: go back to Mallory about how to eliminate bias in the survey, feels very strongly about it.
    • Rusty: would you appreciate the effort to have a booth at Club Day.
    • Hyon Yi-Baker (Director of COllege Life) answered question about how many students voted on the Mascot change: 594 voted, 470 yes (to change mascot), 124 no (to not change mascot)

    Academic Senate Secretary/Treasurer Appointment by Executive Committee for Winter 2020 & Spring 2020
    • Academic Senate Constitution & Bylaws
    • Karen: confirmed vacancy, Alicia will not be returning.
    • Karen showed Senate Constitution that explains what to do in the event of the position being vacated before the election, Constitution states that Academic Senate Executive Committee appoints someone from the Executive Committee to serve out the rest of the term before the Spring election.
    • Susan: is position always in tandem or separated? Karen: it has been together since Paul Setziol held this position for a very long time (decades) before he retired and Alicia was voted to the position.
    • Tom: asked about release time for this position. Karen: it is typically .25 load
    • Mary D: look for volunteers among Executive Committee
    • Ishmael: qualifications? Karen will look up and send out the By-law
    • Mary D: does it have to be tenured full time? If a part timer does it, what is stipend? Does it have to be a current senator?
    • Karen: asks everyone to consider the process through which Executive Committee appoints someone from the Executive Committee to serve out the rest of the term, since the details are not in the Constitution.
    • Mary P: We can do our usual process for “Needs” where we announce the vacancy, ask for faculty to step forward and self-nominate by a deadline, and then Executive Committee considers and discusses the nominations and chooses to appoint by normal approval process or voting process in the case of more than one candidate.

    AP 4240 Academic Renewal Regulations (First Reading Discussion)
    • Dean of Enrollment, Nazy Galoyan
    • Student may request to disregard up to 3 consecutive quarters, plus a summer for a max of 45 quarter units.
    • Read through proposed changes.
    • What to do in case of a deactivated course? If student petition for renewal.
    • Student must show some academic progress, may petition only once,
    • Actively inform students regarding Academic Renewal.
    • There is no conflict with students who choose to repeat a course.
    • Need to define “de-activated” or no longer offered course.
    • Betty: changes would be helpful for students (counselors), will help their accumulated GPA, some course were eliminated because of 705.
    • Mary D:, to what percentage of students would this change in academic renewal policy apply
    • Nazy: A&R receives hundreds of petitions each year. Many were denied
    • Thomas points out language in Title 5, the petition is granted only once, but the proposed policy change means that a student who is requesting academic renewal for a discontinued course could apply more than once.
    • Karen: need more word smithing, will come back for discussion several more times

    • De Anza Associated Student Body (DASB)
      • no report
    • IPBT
      • Timeline when money becomes available will mean earlier due date for Program Review. IPBT allocates funds, in 4 categories: Strong Workforce Program (SWP), Perkins, Lottery Fund, Instructional Equipment
      • Faculty representatives in IPBT
      • 3 funds to be combined: BSI, 3SP, Equity
      • Hiring priority, no timeline, no indication of open positions because of retirement and resignation.
      • Thomas: district determines number if open positions.
      • Susan: when will this number be available from the district?
      • Mary P: Not known but hopefully will get the number soon
    • Academic & Professional Matters
      • Ishmael: Presidential Hiring Committee, process and timeline?
        • Karen: We are supposed to get an email from Chancellor Miner very soon (note: apparently email was sent during the meeting)
      • Pre-discussion meeting Wed,APM meeting next Wednesday
        • Ishmael: Class Cancellation policy and dates. Mary P local College matter and not District i.e. APM level

    Good of the Order
    • Mary S : -National Day of Action, Wednesday, October 9, highlights the danger of Juul. It is on us year, pledge, banner, Wednesday,
    • Mary S: Free Flu Shoot for students next Wednesday, Thursday
    • Mary D: Training on Sexual Harassment
    • Mary D: Kayaking Monterey Bay
    • Bob S: remember to vote online Wed Oct 9, 8 am to Fri Oct 11 5 pm, on salary increase and agreement ratification; public information Tuesday 12:30 to 1:30 Admin 109, FA; need FA rep on various committees curriculum, PDL (Fall/winter), Cont Funding, Due Process
    • Betty:Transfer Day next Thursday, over 60 schools will be represented
    • Motion to Adjourned Mary Sullivan, Susan Second, no objection

Documents and Links

Back to Top