Classes I Teach
|44987||ES 1||52Z||Introduction to Environmental Studies|
|48343||ES 4||50Z||Energy, the Environment, and Society|
|48423||ES 69A||50Z||Introduction to Facilities Management|
|30360||ES 1||01Z||Introduction to Environmental Studies|
|38268||ES 1||52Z||Introduction to Environmental Studies|
|38368||ES 1||54Z||Introduction to Environmental Studies|
|38117||ES 4||01Z||Energy, the Environment, and Society|
CONSIDER TAKING ONE OF THE CLASSES I TEACH:
I teach ES 1- Introduction to Environmental Studies (GE Transferable), ES 4- Energy, the Environment & Society (GE Transferable), ES 69A- Introduction to Facilities Management, and ES 95- Introduction to Environmental Careers.
One of my main objectives and goals is allowing you to think critically on your own. I don't and won't force one-way viewpoints on you.
Yes, I teach Environmental Studies and Energy and Facility Management courses. I present the unbiased facts from an interdisciplinary standpoint and allow you to either expand on or develop your own worldview or point of view based on those facts. I keep my political beliefs out of my classes. It's not my place to tell you or influence how you should think and why.
I present a 360 degree view of the issues and potential solutions and allow you to
take it from there. In my mind the only way to move forward effectively is if we listen
to, and acknowledge differing points of view, respect and understand the viewpoints
being presented- whether we agree with them or not, and move forward in a way that
is inclusive enabling the best collaborative ideas and solutions to support a healthier,
happier and more sustainable planet for all living things.
My commitment as your instructor whether I'm teaching on campus or online:
- A WELL ORGANIZED, thoughtful and thought provoking class
- An engaging, interactive, AND enjoyable learning experience
- All of my classes are designated as NO COST TEXTBOOK classes making them VERY AFFORDABLE for everyone
- A course examining, exploring, and analyzing today's environmental issues, challenges and solutions
- Interactive assignments and exercises demonstrating how you personally impact and
can help improve the environment
- Very focused and relevant homework assignments (I don't believe in non relevant "busywork")
- Interesting lectures and assignments that inspire critical thought, analysis and intellectual curiosity
- A promise to respond to your emails and inquiries within hours
- A promise to grade your work and provide feedback no later than 48 hours after you submit it.
- A PERSONAL commitment to get to know you and any obstacles to learning you may have,
to meet you where you are academically, and to provide the resources and support you
need to be successful in my class and in life.
95% of students who've rated me would take my classes again!
MY ROLES AT DE ANZA:
1) Environmental Studies and Facility Management Instructor- There isn't anything more important or satisfying I could be doing with my life right
now than teaching young people. We're currently facing many environmental, social
and economic challenges that will continue into the future. We collectively need to
find solutions to these problems - NOW! Each academic year, I'm provided an amazing opportunity to make students aware of
the environmental challenges we face and more importantly, inspire them to be part
of the solution. Consider taking one of my classes. I'll provide a great interactive
learning environment, a thoughtful and interesting lesson plan, and I promise you'll
learn more than you expected while having FUN at the same time.
2) CTE Program Coordinator for the Energy Management/ Building Science (EMBS) and Facility and Sustainable Building
Management (FSBM) CTE Programs- If four year College transfer is not a desire or option
for you, consider one of our Department's three Career Technical Education Programs. Find a great living wage career (not job) after earning a 2 Year Certificate or Degree
with us. Many of our students find full time employment within 3 months of graduating.
The State of California is focused on clean energy, pollution prevention, reduction
in greenhouse gas emissions, and sustainability in the built environment. This critical
and environmentally focused push is providing great and well paying career opportunities
for students in our programs now and into the future.
De Anza College is in my DNA and a part of my life. I first enrolled as a student
at De Anza in 1975 (A LONG, LONG TIME AGO!). After a 29 year professional career in the private sector, I decided to make a
career change. I re-enrolled at De Anza in 2008 to take a few solar energy classes
and in the process I earned an Energy Management and Building Science AA Degree. In
2010, I was flattered when I was asked to join the Department faculty as a part time
instructor. In 2016, I was hired full time and was asked to overhaul the Energy Management/Building.
Science program. In 2020, I became tenured.
I firmly believe we all learn differently. Being a parent of two adult children taught me school comes easy to some and others have to work really, really hard. The common denominator in each case is intellectual curiosity and the desire to learn and grow. As your instructor, I believe in critical thinking and analysis and finding collaborative and creative solutions to the obstacles and challenges we face. These are lifelong skills you'll need regardless of the educational major or career path you've chosen.