Assessment Helps You
Find the Right Course!
Your assessment results will determine which courses you can take first – in English (or ESL) and math.
- These subjects are built into the foundation of all educational goals and majors.
- Additional services offered by the Assessment Center include Science Exams, GED Score Assessment, and Ability to Benefit (ATB) testing.
- If you are looking to clear a prerequisite for another subject, such as CIS or a World Language, please review our FAQs.
Start By Checking Your Results in MyPortal
- It's easy: Just follow the steps to Find Your Placement
- ESL students: Use our ESL Assessment Process, which is designed for students who are learning English as a Second Language.
Use our Request Form to get access to an online assessment or exam – or to get help
- Confused? Call 408.864.8717
- Yes! All assessments are available online. In-person assessment services were retired in 2019.
You can visit us in person – FOR QUESTIONS ONLY
You'll find us at the Enrollment Services counter, across from the Bookstore, on the first floor of the RSS Building (park in Lot A).
- Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- See the calendar of holidays and office closures.
We no longer offer in-person assessment exams.
De Anza has designed an assessment process to help you find the courses that are right for you – in English, English as a Second Language (ESL) and Math – based on your circumstances and goals.
Assessment is an essential step for any student interested in taking courses in these subjects. It's also required for getting priority enrollment!
No Transcript? No Problem!
- If you didn't attend a U.S. high school or don't have access to your grades, we'll use other methods to help you find the best placement for you.
- If you're attending on an F-1 visa, you should review orientation materials offered by the International Student Programs office before completing assessment.
English as a Second Language
- View or download the English as a Second Language (ESL) sequence
English and Math can be challenging. If you've had difficulty with these subjects before – or if you don't feel ready to take college-level courses in these areas – don't worry!
- You may also want to check out the Math Performance Success program, which offers tutoring and in-class support.
- If English is not your first language, we have an assessment process to help you find the right courses in English as a Second Language
- Talk with your counselor about the best options for you.
De Anza ended placement testing in 2018. If you took a placement test previously with us, we recommend that you check your updated placement results in MyPortal > Apps > Student Registration App > View My Placement Results.
Under state law, community colleges must do their best to help you complete transfer-level Math and English within a year – unless your high school records indicate that remedial courses would give you a better chance to succeed at the college level.
Like most community colleges, De Anza previously used placement testing to assess new students. But the latest research shows your high school performance is a better indicator than placement tests, when it comes to predicting your ability to succeed.