Welcome to the Sankofa Scholars Program
What is Sankofa Scholars?
Sankofa Scholars is an affiliate of the Statewide Umoja Program, which bases its teachings and activities on an African-centered philosophy.
Umoja – A Statewide Consortium that incorporates principles and strategies that have been proven to be effective in advancing and supporting the achievements of African ancestry students.
The Sankofa Scholars Program at De Anza College enables students to see themselves within a positive historical and cultural context that values the traditions, wisdom, accomplishments, suffering and perseverance from the past to positively impact their lives and community. This includes seeing other people and ideas with the respect that is due to all cultures.
The Sankofa Scholars Program is open to all students and is specifically designed to address the retention, persistence and success of African ancestry students. The overall goal is to provide students with a wide variety of resources and tools to assist them in achieving their academic objectives.
Sankofa Scholars Benefits
- Integrated instruction and student services
- Course clustering for program participants
- Individualized educational planning
- Personal counseling
- Peer Mentoring
- Academic tutoring
- Conference attendance
- Various academic enrichment workshops
- Attendance at conferences and cultural events
- The Sankofa Scholars Program focuses on providing instruction, and academic/ retention support services while emphasizing the social, and cultural dynamics of African Ancestry students at De Anza College
News and Upcoming Events
The Sankofa Bird
The De Anza chapter of Umoja has taken the name, Sankofa Scholars, to celebrate the West African word and symbol that means “we must go back and reclaim our past, in order to understand why and how we came to be who we are today.” The Sankofa bird is looking back as it goes forward, symbolizing the necessity of recognizing and appreciating our past as we plan for the future.