First Year Experience (FYE)
the First Year Experience (FYE) program?
• Integrate multiple fields of study and participate in
community engagement through this year-long program
• Attend reading and writing classes that will take you at
least through your first college-level courses
• Take additional college-level classes such as sociology,
arts, economics, psychology, and biology.
Who is Eligible?
You are eligible for the First Year Experience (FYE) Program if you meet the following requirements:
• You're a high school graduate OR 18 years old
• First-Generation College Student (parents do not have a college degree)
• First-Time, Never Attended College
• English Placement of EWRT 200 & READ 200 or EWRT 211 & READ 211
• Committed to taken the entire FYE cohort for the entire school year
Before enrolling in the FYE cohorts, all FYE students are required to attend a recent Summer Bridge program through De Anza College or attend a COUN 200X class specifically designed for incoming students going into FYE.
If you are interested in joining the First Year Experience program, please complete the following steps:
- Apply to De Anza College
- Take the English Placement Test (please allow at least 3 weeks for placement results)
- Complete our online interest form
Because space is limited, applicants are encouraged to complete our interest form as early as possible.
Please Support Our Scholarship Program
The Jean Miller First Year Experience Scholarship fund is a beautiful reminder of Jean Miller’s legacy. The money has literally put books in the hands of our most struggling students. Anything you can give will be appreciated. Here's how to donate today!
First Year Experience students participate in activities throughout the school year.