- Accelerated English Instruction
For two quarters, the Puente cohort stays with the same instructor through EWRT 211, Reading 211, and EWRT 1A. Before the first year is done, all Puente students will have passed College Composition and have the English skills they need to succeed.
- Counseling Continuity
Puente students have regular meetings and guidance from the same counselor until they transfer to a four-year university. They also take three classes, HUMA 20, CLP 70, and COUN 80X that focus on academic planning, career exploration and student success and leadership skills.
- Individual Mentoring
Each Puente student is matched with a professional from the community who volunteers his or her time to offer the student new perspectives on career and education pathways.
- Student Assistants who serve as office assistants and help organize and host the many events we have each year
- Student Family involvement
- Puente Alumni who have finished the coursework for the Puente Program but continue to attend events and serve as role models for newer Puente students
- Educational enrichment events, such as live theater, University campus visits, cultural events, volunteer opportunities and more