Faculty Greensheet Directions:
1. Scroll to your course
2. Copy your SLO statements into your greensheet
3. Make sure at least one assignment in your course addresses each SLO.
If you have questions, e-mail your SLO Dept. Rep, Amy Leonard, at email@example.com
Journalism Course SLOs
JOUN 2: Mass Communication and Its Impact on Society
- Explain and illustrate the basic facets of communication theory.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history, operation and culture of different forms of mass media.
- Analyze and critique the impact of mass media and the controversies and biases inherent in legal and ethical aspects of the media.
- Investigate career opportunities in the mass media.
JOUN 21A: News Writing and Reporting
- Judge and rank characteristics of a news story
- Synthesize important details to create the lead for a news story
- Evaluate and access sources to report a multi-source news story and develop it for publication in print or online
- Demonstrate the use of ethical principles in reporting a news story
JOUN. 21B: Feature Writing and Reporting
- Appraise and critique feature stories for originality, sourcing and writing style.
- Report and construct original multi-source feature stories including incorporating ethical principles and defending the use of sources.
- Produce opinion and critique stories using students' own observations and sourcing.
- Illustrate how to present feature stories in non-print formats.
JOUN. 61: Newspaper and Student Media Staff
- Demonstrate judgment of what makes a news story and how to go about gathering information.
- Construct news, feature and opinion pieces for a print newspaper and at least one electronic medium.
- Develop a portfolio of work suitable for publication in a newspaper or for a news organization Web site.
JOUN. 62: Newspaper and Media Freelancing
- Develop content for a media outlet, suitable for publication or presentation.
- Demonstrate the ability to complete assignments within specified deadlines.
JOUN. 63: Newspaper Advertising Staff
- Demonstrate an understanding of a newspaper's business operations
- Demonstrate the process of how to work with an advertising client
- Design and produce an advertisement
JOUN. 77W-Z: Special Projects
- Demonstrate the ability to apply tools and technologies appropriate for the creation and production of media content.
- Demonstrate and apply journalistic responsibility while creating and producing media content.
JOUN. 78X-Z: Special Topics in Journalism
- Create, organize and produce communications or media pertaining to a specific journalism topic
- Demonstrate the theoretical foundations of a specific journalism topic and its importance within the discipline.