Group of diverse students

Back to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Application procedures
  • How can I submit my application and supporting documents?

Mail to:

De Anza College
Attn: International Student Programs
21250 Stevens Creek Blvd
Cupertino CALIFORNIA 95014


Submit in person to:
International Student Programs (ISP) office
Registration & Students Services Building, 2nd floor

NOTE: The International Student Application CANNOT  be submitted online. We do not
accept faxes, scans, copies or email attachments.
  • How can I pay the application fee?

1. By credit card: fill out the Application/Express Mail Fee by Credit Card Form and return to our office in person or via fax (408) 864-5638
2. By check or money order (U.S. bank drawn) made payable to: “De Anza College”

  • I did not finish my secondary school in my country. Can I still apply?

Yes, if you are 18 years or older. You still need to submit transcripts of all the schools you have attended. The final admission decision will be made by our admission coordinator.

  • I’m not 18 years old yet, can I apply to your college?

Students must be 16 years old at least 1 month prior to the beginning of a quarter AND have graduated from secondary/high school to be eligible for admission to De Anza College.

You MUST complete and submit the Parent or Guardian Authorization for Minor Students if you are not 18 years of age at the time you are applying to De Anza College.

  • I will graduate from my secondary school in June and I’m not sure if my diploma will be ready for your June 30th deadline. Can I still apply for the fall quarter?

Yes. But we must receive your final transcripts/diploma before we can issue you an I-20 for admission.

  • I don’t have a TOEFL score or any of the other tests you require for admission. Can I still apply?

You can send in your application, but we will not consider your application for admission until you submit results of one of the tests that we require.

  • I have a TOEFL score but is not high enough for your admission. Can I still apply?

If your iBT TOEFL score is between 52 & 60 or you have an IELTS score of 5.0, you can apply for the Intensive Summer ESL Course.  If your score is lower, you can either re-take the TOEFL or any of the other tests we accept until you meet our required score or apply to one of the language schools that we have an agreement with and transfer to De Anza after you have met the requirement.

  • Do I need to take the SAT or ACT?

No. These tests are not needed for admission to De Anza College.

  • I have a Bachelor or higher degree from the U.S. Do I still need to submit the TOEFL test?

No. If you have a BA or higher degree from the U.S., be sure to include your transcripts with you application.

  • I have a Bachelor or higher degree from my country. Do I still need to submit the TOEFL test?


  • I currently attend a language school and got a conditional acceptance letter from De Anza. Does that mean I’m accepted?

No. The conditional acceptance letter is just to let you know that upon your completion of the English Language Proficiency level at the language school, we will review your application and make an admission decision only after all documents have been submitted to our office, including:
1. Admission application
2. Supporting documents as described on the application
3. Transfer Form
4. Language School English proficiency level proof/certificate

  • I submitted my application but I have not heard anything. What should I do?

If 2 or more weeks have gone by and you have not heard from us, please send us an email at: and include your full name, date of birth and country you are from in your email and the approximate date you applied.

back to top

Application documents
  • Can I get my original documents back after I submit them?

No. All documents submitted to De Anza College as part of the application become property of the college. This is a common practice among schools in the U.S. Students should always request more than one set of their transcripts or other important documents for other future needs.

 Unique and one-of-a kind foreign transcripts/diplomas will only be returned to the student upon request, and  ONLY after the student completes his/her first quarter at De Anza College.

  • What is an official transcript?

Official transcripts are the original or certified records of all marks received in high school or college. Please note that the Form I-20 will not be issued until we receive official copies of your high school or college transcripts, either original or certified. A certified English translation must be submitted if your original transcript is not in English. Internet print-outs are not accepted.

  • What financial support documents are required for admission?

You and your sponsor must sign a Confidential Financial Statement on page 3 of the International Student Application form. In addition, you must include an original bank letter dated within the last 6 months verifying that you or your sponsor are in "good standing" at the bank and can demonstrate that the minimum amount as listed on the application is available in funds for the first year of your studies at De Anza. Your sponsor MUST  sign the Confidential Financial Statement and You MUST sign the Certifying Statement in your application or the application will be considered incomplete.

  • Can I be my own sponsor?

Yes. Just provide your own bank statement and be sure to sign the Confidential Financial Statement on page 3 of the International Student Application form.

  • Are online printouts of bank statements accepted for admission?

No. A copy of your account statement printed from your bank's website is not acceptable. Please submit an official bank letter.

back to top

 Tuition & Fees

  • How much does it cost to attend De Anza College as an F-1 visa student?

International students on the F-1 visa currently pay $191.00 per unit. Students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units(full time) each quarter. A complete breakdown of all expenses can be found on the Student Fees website.

NOTE: Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.

  • When are the tuition and health insurance fees due?

International students on the F-1 visa who are holding a De Anza I-20 are given until the 2nd Friday of every quarter to pay for their fees. However, we strongly recommend students pay as soon as they register for classes. Students registering for summer classes must pay immediately.

  • Do you have scholarships for international F-1 visa students?

F-1 visa students are eligible to apply for scholarships once they enroll in classes at De Anza College, but not before becoming a student. Scholarships information can be found here.

  • Is Financial Aid available for international F-1 visa students?

F-1 visa students cannot apply for financial aid; however, they are eligible to apply for scholarships once they enroll in classes but not before becoming a student.

back to top

Transferring from another institution
  • I’m currently attending another school in the U.S. and I want to transfer to De Anza. What should I do?

Complete the international application for admission. Attach all supporting documents AND
1. Download the Transfer Release Form
2. Complete the top part
3. Give the Transfer Clearance Form to your current school for completion
4. Be sure you or your current school return the Transfer Release Form to our office

Transfer In students must provide the following additional documents:

  •  -copy of current school I-20
  • -copy of your F-1 Visa (in your passport)

NOTE: students in Completed or Terminated SEVIS status WILL NOT be accepted. Consult with the admission coordinator for other options.



  • If I transfer from another U.S. school to De Anza, will I get a new I-20?

Yes. If you plan to transfer from your current college, university or language school to study at De Anza as a full-time student, De Anza will issue you a new I-20.


  • I have attended a college/university outside of the U.S. Can my foreign classes count towards my classes or degree at De Anza? Can I get credit for these classes?

De Anza does not evaluate foreign transcripts or credentials. Foreign transcripts need to be translated/evaluated by an outside certified agency first, then De Anza College will do its 2nd evaluation. This is a process that is done only after a student has been admitted to De Anza College. Students are encouraged to discuss the evaluation process with a counselor at orientation time or during their first quarter at De Anza College.

WES: World Education Service is an agency who translates and evaluates foreign transcripts.

  • I have taken college/university classes in the U.S. Can I get my transcripts evaluated before I get admission from De Anza?

No. Once you become a student at De Anza College, you will have a chance to meet with counselors during your first quarter who will help you forward your transcripts to our Admission & Records office for an evaluation.

  • I have already taken Math & English classes in another U.S. school. Do I still need to take the placement tests at De Anza?

If you are transferring from U.S. community college or university with transferable credits in college level English and or Mathematics coursework, please read and follow thoroughly the directions here to gain pre-requisite clearance so that you can continue with your studies and not be blocked from courses. You must submit all documentation as described in the above website a few weeks before you can register.

back to top

  • Can I take Part Time Classes only?

No. International students on the F-1 visa must enroll and complete a minimum of 12 units every quarter (except summer), in order to comply with immigration regulations.

  • Can I take ESL classes only?

No. De Anza does not have a language program. You will take English/ESL classes as part of your degree in our college, but that is in addition to other classes. If you are interested in taking ESL classes only, you can explore any of the language schools we have an agreement with.

  • Do you have a summer program?

No, but if your TOEFL score is between 475 and 499 (CBT: between 151 & 172, iBT between 52 & 60, IELTS 5.0) and you would like to apply to De Anza for the Fall quarter, you can attend our Intensive Summer ESL Course, an eight-week intensive language study course which guarantees you admission to De Anza in the following fall quarter upon successful completion of the course.

  • How many international students are at De Anza College?

There are currently about 2,000 international students on the F-1 visa at De Anza College.

  • I would like to visit your campus, can I schedule a campus tour?

Yes. Please send an email to our office with your request to discuss admission and set up a tour of the campus at:

  • What majors does De Anza offer?

Click here for a list of majors currently available for F-1 international students at De Anza.

  • Can I speak to a representative from your college in my home country?

We have some representatives who attend college fairs in some countries. Find out more here.

back to top

Health Insurance
  • Do I have to pay for health insurance?

Yes. All F-1 international students enrolled at De Anza colleges are required to purchase and subscribe to the health insurance selected by the Foothill-De Anza district.

  • I have my own health insurance. Do I still need to pay for the Foothill-De Anza district?

Yes. It is mandatory that all F-1 visa international students purchase the health insurance selected by the Foothill-De Anza district.

  • Can I waive the health insurance fee?

Only if you meet the requirements as described in the Health Insurance Waiver Form.

  • I do not have an F-1 visa. Can I still purchase the International Student Insurance Plan?

No, this plan is available only to international students on F-1 visas. You can check with De Anza’s Health Office for information on health insurance.

back to top

  • Do I have to attend the new student Orientation Program?

Yes. The Orientation Program is very comprehensive and covers information on:

Placement tests
Class registration
Health Insurance
On Campus/off campus safety
Social Security/ID cards

It is in your best interest to attend the new student orientation as it is a chance to get your questions answered before you begin your first quarter at De Anza and ensure that you are successful.

  • Why is the orientation held about a month before classes start?

Course registration usually begins a month before classes start. Orientation is held at this time to make sure students take the math and English placement tests and receive test scores on time for registration. Students may also enroll in a 1-unit Counseling 50 (Introduction to College) class during orientation to discuss major, select courses and learn about the U.S. educational system.  If you miss orientation and arrive late, we cannot guarantee that you will have an opportunity to meet with an academic counselor to discuss your academic plans and first quarter registration. Since many of the classes you want may already be full, it is very likely that you will have trouble finding open classes to satisfy the 12-unit minimum enrollment requirement to maintain your valid F-1 status.

  • I’m a transfer student from another U.S. school, do I still need to attend orientation?

Yes. Each school in the U.S. has its own policies.  If you want to start your first quarter at De Anza successfully, it is in your best interest to attend our new student Orientation Program.

  • Can my parents attend the orientation?

Yes. Parents are welcome to attend the orientation, subject to seating availability.

  • I am a U.S. permanent resident, citizen or hold a visa other than F-1. Do I have to attend the international student orientation program?

No. Information given at orientation pertains mostly to F-1 visa holders. Students who are applying for a Change of Status however and have been issued an I-20, must attend the Orientation Program.

back to top

Visa/immigration status

  • Can my spouse/child(ren) come with me to the U.S.?

Yes. If your family plans to reside with you to the U.S. as F-2 visa, you must complete the Dependent Form (F2 Visa), attach a copy of their passport and submit it with your application.

  • Are international students allowed to work?

International students on F-1 visas may work on campus up to a maximum of 19 hours per week at De Anza College. There is not a centralized location on the De Anza campus to advertise jobs. Students need to visit the various offices/departments and inquire if hiring is available. The Bookstore, Cafeteria and tutorial center are among the offices that frequently hire student assistants.

  • I have a tourist "B2" visa.  May I go to school at your college on this visa?

Individuals holding B2 visa may enroll  in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree. For additional information please check out the Department of State website.

  • I have an H, J, or another type of visa and want to change to F-1.  What should I do?

You must come to the ISP Office and speak to the admission coordinator. There are so many variations to a particular immigration status that is extremely important for the prospective student to meet with the ISP staff for advice. Call our office at: 408.864.8826 or come in person.

  • Am I considered a California resident if I have lived in California for a year or more?

No. International students on the F-1 visa are never considered residents, no matter how long they live in the USA.

NOTE: If your status has changed to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, notify the ISP office immigration advisors and please go to the Admissions & Records office in the Registration & Student Services Building.

  • I am a citizen of the U.S. but have lived abroad most of my life.  Am I considered an international student?

No. If you were born in the U.S. or are a resident (holding a green card), you are not considered an international student at De Anza. Please follow the admission procedures for domestic students.

back to top


  • Does De Anza College have a dormitory?

No. Like most community colleges, De Anza does not have a dormitory on campus and does not directly arrange housing for students.

  • Do you have a homestay program?

Our office works with a local homestay program called International Student Placement (ISP).
Please view the information on their website or contact the director of the program Ms. Jean Ikeda:

Phone: 650.947.8879
Fax: 650.948.1105

You can live with a family or share a house with other students. Read and complete their application from their website if interested.

NOTE: ISP (International Student Placement) homestay program is not the same as De Anza ISP (International Student Programs) office. Be sure to contact the ISP homestay program if you have any questions regarding living with a host family.

  • I don't want to live with a host family.  How can I find a place to stay?

If you would like to find housing/apartments on your own, just type "apartment rentals near De Anza College" on your search engine. Remember you must be at least 18 years old to rent an apartment. Students also find the De Anza International Students Facebook group useful to find housing accommodations by posting advertisements here.

  • I would like to rent an apartment. Is the rental process easy?  How much does it cost?

Apartments in the area are expensive. A 1-bedroom apartment could easily be priced in the $1,800-$2,500 range per month. You must be 18 years old or older to rent an apartment and you should carefully review the contract terms before signing. Students often choose to share a room in a house or apartment order to reduce costs.

  • Can I rent an apartment from overseas before I arrive?

No, you should not. It's important to see the place first. Do not sign any contract/lease before understanding all of the rules/policy of renting an apartment or room.

back to top


International Student Programs
De Anza College
21250 Stevens Creek BLVD
Cupertino, CA 95014
Tel. (408) 864-8826
Fax. (408) 864-5638

Last Updated: 2/26/18