Notes - June 5, 2006
De Anza Academic Senate
Notes for the meeting of
June 5, 2006
Senators and Officers present: Argyriou, Barney, Bryant, Capitolo, Chenoweth, Cordero, Dolen, Dunn, Fox, Goodwin, Guevara, Hearn, Jensen Sullivan, Joplin, Kramer, Logvinenko, Moreno, Mosh, Nagel, Osborne, Setziol, Sheirich, Winters and Zill
Senators and Officers absent: Annen, Mosh, Nagel, Ujifusa
Classified Senate: Olivia Patlan
Guests: Beth Bresnan, Karl Schaffer, Brian Murphy, Judy Miner, Robert Griffin, Jeanine Hawk
The meeting was called to order at 2:34, a quorum being present.
I. Approval of Agenda and Notes: The agenda was approved. The notes of May 22 were approved with a typo noted.
II. Needs and Confirmations:
• Faculty members for At Large positions on tenure review committees.
• Two faculty members for Student Services Planning and Budgeting Team.
• One faculty member for the Professional Development Leave Committee (meets approximately 3 Thursday afternoons in the fall quarter and then as needed.
• One part-time faculty with reemployment preference to serve as the At-Large Part-Time Faculty Senator, with stipend, on the Academic Senate Executive Committee. Interested part-time faculty are requested to email a candidate statement to Lydia Hearn by noon June 12.
• Don Nickel for the Instructional Designer (classified) Search and Selection Committee.
• Judy Mowrey and Alex Swanner for the Senior Library Technician-Circulation/Reserves Evening Position (classified) Search and Selection Committee.
III. ETS/SLA’s: Chenoweth and Dolen reported on the next steps of the Educational Technology Services (ETS) Service Level Agreement. Apparently, the intent of ETS is that they will carry forward the original document, addressing Academic Senate concerns only through a FAQ rather than the actual document. Faculty will vote against this move at the Technology Taskforce meeting and at Chancellor's Advisory Council.
V. Faculty Leadership Institute Budget Request: Senate approved the request of Barney for up to $1200 for Chenoweth to attend the upcoming Faculty Leadership Institute.
VI. Good of the Order:
• Argyriou reported on elections. Hearn, Chenoweth and Setziol were elected and all three consitutional changes were carried with 80% or greater.
• Cordero asked senators to announce to students two grants to study in China for Fall Quarter. Students should contact her before the end of June.
• Setziol announced +/- grading workshops in the Don Bautista Room at 12:30 on June 13 and 14.
• Goodwin announced that FA elections will be held by the Fireside Room on June 14 and 15.
• Hearn asked faculty to turn out for graduation.
• Hearn announced the Strategic Planning Town Hall on Wednesday, June 7, from 3-5 in Conference Rooms A/B.