Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver: Fast & Simple

State law requires that students attending California Community Colleges pay enrollment fees. The California Community Colleges Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver permits these enrollment fees to be waived for all eligible California and AB540 students. Please be aware that the BOG Fee Waiver is designed to cover your enrollment fees only. Other campus resources exist to assist with the purchase of books and supplies and must be applied for separately.

Understanding Eligibility:

If you are a California resident or qualify for AB540 status, you may be eligible for a BOG Fee Waiver if you meet at least one of the following criteria.

  1. You have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen OR you have filed a California Dream Act Application if you are an undocumented AB540 student, AND you have unmet need of $1104 or greater, or
  2. You or your family are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)/CalWORKs, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI/SSP), or General Assistance, AND you have submitted a paper BOG application and proof that you are currently receiving one of the above listed benefits, or
  3. You have certification/documentation from the California Department of Veterans Affairs, California National Guard Adjutant General, California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board, or other public agency that you are eligible for a dependent's fee waiver, AND you have submitted a paper BOG application and a copy of the certification/documentation, or
  4. You or your family's income for the base year (the tax year prior to the academic year for which you are applying for the BOG Fee Waiver) was equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty level, AND you have submitted a paper BOG Application and provided the necessary income information on the application.

Apply for the BOG Fee Waiver

The BOG Fee Waiver application for 2015-2016 is available online through OpenCCC.

If you submit a BOG application, we also encourage you to file a FAFSA ( or California Dream Act Application ( to find out if you are eligible for other types of financial aid.

*Important: You must reapply for the BOG Fee Waiver for each new academic year (July 1st - June 30th).

Getting the BOG Fee Waiver at both De Anza College and Foothill College

It is the goal of the Foothill-De Anza District to honor one college's BOG Fee Waiver at the other college. This is a manual process and needs to be completed by the Financial Aid Office staff. If you have been awarded a BOG Fee Waiver from either Foothill or De Anza College and you will be attending classes at the other college during the same academic year, please contact the financial aid office to receive the Fee Waiver at both schools. If the BOG Fee Waiver does not waive your classes at the second college, please promptly contact their Financial Aid Office for confirmation and correction.


If you are not a California resident or AB540 student, you are not eligible for the BOG Fee Waiver. Do not complete the BOG application.

If you don't qualify for the BOG Fee Waiver, you can still file a FAFSA ( or California Dream Act Application ( to be evaluated for other types of financial aid.


Last Updated: 8/6/15