Financial Aid Bldg

Financial Aid

Student Employment

Payroll requires all students to bring in their Social Security Card as part of the I9 confirmation process.



New Student Employment Packet

Online Time Sheets
Federal Work-Study Program
Other Student Employment Opportunities



Submit your student employee time sheet by month end at

All student time sheets will be submitted and approved online in  MyPortal.  Student employees MUST access their time sheet during the month and record their hours in and out daily. You may also set up your Direct Deposit information in MyPortal.

Student employees must SUBMIT FOR APPROVAL their online time sheet on the last work day of each month. Your supervisor must confirm and approve hours before midnight of the 5th calendar day after the month end. Students must KEEP CHECKING online to be sure the time sheet is approved, or look to see if it is RETURNED FOR CORRECTION.

As of July 10th, we have awarded all 2017-18 Federal Work Study.  Please check in with Jacqueline if you would like to be place on the wait list.

Federal Work-Study (FWS): a campus based program offers eligible students’ part-time employment opportunities.  Awards are made beginning with the Summer term.  The number of hours per week will be no more than 19 hours per week, per student.

Students with an EFC between 0 and 3500 will be offered an FWS award of $3500.  Students must come into the Financial Aid Office to accept the offer.  If the award is not within 2 weeks of receiving notification,the award will be cancelled to ensure opportunities are available for those students who wish to work. Students must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to maintain eligibility.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

Students must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete the federal financial aid application.
  • Meet all minimum eligibility requirements.
  • Be enrolled in 6 units.

Once the award has been accepted, students are advised to view the list of potential job openings by clicking on the link below.

WorkStudy Positions

Students will need to choose De Anza as the campus, then click search to see the listing of positions.  After reviewing the positions, please write down the posting number and job title of those you are interested in(recommend 3-6).   Students will then bring the list to the financial aid office to verify if the position is still available. 


* Apply early - positions are limited! *

De Anza College offers a student employment program to help students gain work experience and to help them cover their educational costs. The personnel function for student employment is located in the Financial Aid Office. (Payroll function is handled at the District Office.) Some positions may require fingerprinting.

Students are welcome to find their own work opportunities on campus. Often departments will post "help wanted" signs when jobs are available. Students are also encouraged to inquire at departments of interest to them on campus. Employment is most often available in the following areas: 

  1. To be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units at De Anza College during the quarter in which they are working.  For continued employment, must successfully complete 12 units in the quarter that they are employed. 
  2. CalWORKs funded student employees are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units
  3. To have fewer than 180 attempted units in the FHDA District.
  4. To maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0, quarterly and cumulative
  5. Are not permitted to work more than 19 hours per week, or more than 8 hours per day
  6. Must obtain permission from their supervisor before working a holiday or more than 8 hours in one day.  Doing either, is strongly discouraged
  7. To be paid time-and-a-half for working overtime
  8. To take an unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes (preferably mid-shift) if scheduled to work more than 5 hours
  9. Responsible for submitting their time sheet online by the last work day of the month and for making sure their supervisor has approved it online before the deadline.
  10. Eligible for Workers' Compensation for any work-related injuries or illness
  11. Not eligible for unemployment compensation
  12. Student are responsible for giving their supervisors as much notice as possible regarding pending ineligibility
  13. Student employees will be eligible for a maximum of 24 hours of sick leave during the academic year (July 1 - June 30).  Unused sick leave will roll over into the next academic year as long is there is less than a 12 month break in service

District-funded student employees hired for the summer sessions must either:

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units for the Summer Quarter or,
  • If enrolled in less than 12 units, student must be continuing employment from the preceding Spring Quarter during which they successfully completed a minimum of 12 units (6 units if identified as Child Development position that meets the legal criteria of work experience or CalWorks funded position)
All Student positions, including Federal Work-Study and district funded, fall into four pay rate levels depending upon job descriptions and length of employment:

Entry Level :: $11.00- $11.75

Intermediate Level :: $12.00- $12.75

Specialist Level :: $14.00- $14.75

Technical Level :: $16.00- $16.75

All student positions, including Federal Work-Study and district funded, fall into nine position categories:

  • Accounting/Cashiering Assistants
  • Clerical Assistants
  • General Assistant
  • Instructional Assistants
  • Lab Assistants
  • Peer Assistants
  • Physical Education Assistants
  • Security Assistants
  • Technical Assistants

Financial Aid
Baldwin Winery


Last Updated: 1/9/18