Notes to Students in Math 1C Spring 2014
1) Click here for information on your textbook and computer disk options. WebAssign offers features that you might find useful. WebAssign will not be used in this class, but other instructors might require it.
2) Click here for information on which calculators may and which calculators may NOT be used in Math 1C. This course will follow the same restrictions as the ACT, the site from which this information is borrowed.
3) Quiz #1 is on Thursday, April 17, and will cover sections 11.1 - 11.4. We can review and discuss problems during the first hour of class. The quiz will be given in the last half hour of class.
4) The Quiz #1 optional extra credit take home is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday, April 22. For full credit, write a complete, well reasoned solution for each problem.
5) Quiz #2 was distributed at the end of class on Tuesday, April 22, and is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday, April 29. Because this is a take home quiz, there will not be an additional extra credit assignment for Quiz #2. Remember that you may work together and consult any additional resources, including the tutorial center, on any take home assignment in this course. The idea is to help each other to prepare well written, complete solutions, so do not simply copy another person's work. Also remember class is cancelled on Thursday, April 24, and we decided to postpone Test #1 to Thursday, May 1. See you next week.
6) Test #1 is on Thursday, May 1, and will cover 11.1-8. The problems will be similar to those on Quizzes #1 and #2. We can review for the first hour of class before taking the test during the second hour.
7) Quiz #3 is on Thursday, May 8, and will cover 11.9 and 11.10. In 11.9, you should be familiar with manipulating power series, algebraically and through differentiation and anti-differentiation, to represent new functions. In 11.10, you should be familiar with finding the Taylor expansion for a given function.
8) The Quiz #3 optional extra credit take home is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday, May 13.
9) Quiz #4 will be on Thursday, May 15, and will cover 11.10 (Taylor and Maclaurin series), 11.11 (Taylor series error estimation), and 10.3 (polar coordinate review).
10) The Quiz #4 optional extra credit take home is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday, May 20. We will be completing sections 10.1, 2, and 4 in preparation for the next quiz, so it would be a good idea to start working the suggested problems for these sections.
11) Quiz #5 will be on Thursday, May 22, and will cover 10.1, 10.2, and 10.4.
12) The Quiz #5 optional extra credit take home is due on Tuesday, May 27, at the beginning of class.
13) Test #2 will be on Tuesday, May 27, during the last hour of class and will cover 11.9-11.11 and 10.1-10.4. We can review during the first hour of class.
14) Note that there is no quiz on Thursday, May 29. We will spend this class reviewing grades (in advance of the "W deadline" on May 30) and getting started on Chapter 12. Quiz #6 is set for Thursday, June 5.
15) We will finish 12.1-12.5 on Tuesday, June 3. Try the suggested problems over the weekend. We might also take a look at 12.6, Quadric Surfaces, but this section is now covered in Math 1D.
16) Quiz #6 will be on Thursday, June 5, and will cover 12.1-12.5.
17) The Quiz #6 optional extra credit take home is due on Tuesday, June 10, at the beginning of class. Over the weekend, try some problems from 13.1 and 13.2. On Tuesday, we will discuss 13.3 and 13.4. Quiz #7 (our last one) will be on Thursday, June 12, and will probably cover 13.1-13.4. Test #3 will be on Tuesday, June 17, and will cover 12.1-12.5 and 13.1-13.4.
18) Quiz #7 (our last quiz) will be on Thursday, June 12, and will cover 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3, through curvature. The quiz will NOT include the Normal and Binormal vectors in 13.3. These will be covered on Test #3.
19) The Quiz #7 optional extra credit is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday, June 17. Test #3 will also be on Tuesday, June 17, during the second hour of the class, and will cover 12.1-5 and 13.1-3. Test #3 will NOT include 13.4, but this section will be on the Final Exam.
20) The Final Examination is on Tuesday, June 24, from 6:15 to 8:15 pm in our usual classroom. The exam is comprehensive and will include section 13.4, the only topic that has not yet been included in a quiz or test. Review your quizzes and tests to see the kinds of problems that are likely to appear on the final exam. You may also prepare a sheet of notes 8.5 inches by 11 inches, using both sides, if you wish. These notes must be handwritten -- no typesetting or photocopying, and you may include anything you wish, for instance, any formulas or examples you think might be useful. Email me if you have any questions or want to set up an appointment to meet in my office.