Nurs 84 Medical-Surgical Nursing II: Care of the Older Adult
- Thursdays, 6:30 a.m.
- Instructor: Sherri Cozzens, RN, MS
- Location: per schedule of classes
- 4 Units
- This is a hybrid course. Enrolled students will have access to the course in Canvas beginning a couple weeks before the quarter begins (must be enrolled to have access). Enrolled students will view weekly videotaped lectures prior to coming to the weekly two hour class meetings. Powerpoint slides to accompany lectures are provided on Canvas site. Quizzes may be online or in class.
Office hrs: Monday & Tuesday, 2:30-3:30pm at clinical site and Thursday, 8:15-10:30am (drop in) on campus. Wed & Fri mornings 7:30-10a online or phone. (Other times may be available by appt. with 5 days notice.)
- Instructor contact:
- Instructor email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students will be given a mobile phone number in Week 1 as the contact number for instructor.
Open invitation to all students!
Students are invited to attend and participate in all monthly department faculty meetings,
and regularly scheduled department Curriculum and Policy committee meetings. We welcome
your input and ideas! See instructor for more information.
Information for Incoming Quarter 4 Students! - see Nursing 84L page!
- Course objectives and topical outline
- Student Learning Objectives (SLOs)
- RN Standards of Competent Performance
- Nursing Practice Act information for Q4 - please review!
- Required Reading and Class Preparation Lists: choose carefully - this must match the title and specific edition of your textbooks!! I prefer you use the 9th edition of Touhy & Jett gero text.
- Hesi case studies - per Canvas
- Ethical dilemma paper - instructions on Canvas
- Example paper available on Canvas. Please note that this example paper was written prior to the requirement to format in APA, so is not formatted in APA; however, it is the content you should use as the example!
Other Valuable Resources and Links
- Nursing Department Student Handbook (SHB)
- Nursing Department web page - skills criteria sheets, Bloodborne pathogen packet, and other resources can be found here
- One website for pathophysiology you might find useful: Medscape
- One website for pharmacology you might find useful: Micromedex Clinical Knowledge Suite
- QSEN website
- Evidence-based practice
- BRN website
- How to take the Hesi exam
- ANA tips for using social media
- Division web page - Division Student Handbook can be found here
- De Anza College Library
- Free online tutoring!
- Start preparing NOW for your Hesi Exit Exam and NCLEX!