Medical Emergency What You Should Do
If a serious injury or illness occurs on campus, immediately call the Police at 9-1-1. Give your name, describe the nature of the medical problem and the campus location of the victim.
Quickly perform these four steps:
- Ask the victim "Are you okay?" and "What's wrong?"
- Check breathing and pulse and give artificial respiration or CPR* if necessary.
- Control serious bleeding by applying direct pressure on the wound.
- Keep the victim still and comfortable. Have the victim lie down if necessary.
Continue to assist the victim until help arrives:
- Try to determine the extent of the injury or probable cause of illness.
- Protect the victim from disturbances, reassure the victim and Do Not move him or her unless absolutely necessary,
- Look for emergency ID, gather information from witnesses and give all information to the emergency response personnel arriving on the scene.
*CPR – if you are trained to perform CPR