Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations
Registration assistance may involve:
- class schedule planning and modification to
- develop an educational plan
- adjust that plan to meet your disability-related needs
- training to gain proficiency in using the De Anza College Portal Registration System
- authorization to enroll in classes early, including on a specified Priority Registration Day
- to meet disability-related needs
- allow time for arranging accommodations
- registration assistance to complete course enrollment for those whose disability precludes or make onerous the use of the De Anza Portal Registration system
Before a course registration appointment, it is best to have developed an education plan with a list of courses needed to meet that goal. If you need assistance to develop such a plan, please make an appointment early in the quarter, before the busy registration period, with a DSS counselor or a LD Specialist or a counselor in the Counseling Center.
Steps to obtain registration assistance through Disability Support Services:
- Current disability documentation may be required at some point in the process.
- Students new to the program
- receive assistance to select classes and
- any necessary assistance to register for those courses. Depending on their situation, students complete course registration either
- during their intake appointment.
- at a 2nd appointment, at a later date, made at the end of their initial intake appointment
- using the on-line De Anza Registration Portal on a Priority Registration Day
- Continuing DSS students call the DSS secretary to schedule a Priority Registration planning appointment to
- develop the course schedule for the upcoming quarter
- receive authorization to register on Priority Registration Day.
- Students must complete the required college placement tests to enroll in English or math.
- Contact DSS is you need test accommodations for these.
- Otherwise, check Placement web site at www.deanza.edu/admissions/placement for times and locations of these tests.
- Bring the following to a registration appointment with a DSS counselor or a LD Specialist
- the educational plan
- a rehabiliation plan, if applicalbe
- a list of proposed course sections for enrollment
- Fees must be paid at the Cashier’s Office or on-line using current college guidelines.
- To receive authorizaiton to enroll on Priority Registration Day, or to receive registration assistance, students must have completed:
- the disability documentation process
- the initial intake process, if a new student
- the yearly update of the Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP) with the DSS counselor or LD Specialist, if a continuing student
- a Registration Planning Meeting with their DSS counselor or LD Specialist.
- Students need to develop proficiency using the De Anza College Portal Registration System to complete their enrollment on-line.
- Workshop trainings are held quarterly
- Dates and times are announced
- by email to students
- on flyers posted in the DSS office
- on-line on the DSS website.
- Early registration dates and information is sent to students
- by e-mail
- posted on the program websites
- If notification is not recieved, it is the student's responsibility to check for updated information on line or with the programs.
- Enrollment may not be assured if a student
- has not met course prerequisites,
- paid not paid fees
- has holds on their record
- It is the student’s responsibility to confirm their completed enrollment.