Section Two: Using Disability Services and Accommodations
Steps to Obtain Alternate Media
This chart describes the procedures students with disabilities follow to obtain alternate media.
Students should also review Guidelines which details the requirements students must meet to receive this accommodation.
To return to the general Alternate Media Services Description page which details the services and types of alternate media available at De Anza, click here.
Meet with your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist
Your ALTERNATE MEDIA AUTHORIZATION FORM will be completed.
- Renew it each quarter within a week after you register.
- Adequate time is necessary to research sources and obtain alternate media from off-campus sources or for on campus production.
- Complete and submit form prior to making a media request.
Take the "Alternate Media Authorization" form to the CAL Lab
Meet with an Access Technology faculty member who will
- familiarize you with available alternate formats.
- consult on the most appropriate format.
- sign off on the Authorization Form.
Computer Accessibility Lab (CAL), Advanced Technology Center, Main level, Room 203 (AT 203)
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - Noon; 1 - 5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m - 4 p.m.
Turn in the "Alternate Media Authorization" form to the Alt Media Specialist
Original, completed and signed form is required.
Disability Support Services, Registration & Student Services Building, RSS 139
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - Noon and 12:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Complete requests on the "Alternate Media Request Form"
Form is available
- on line (fillable PDF) or
- in print in DSS Offices or
- to download from the Web to print and fill out.
- Provide book information on the Request Form
- edition number
- ISBN number
- Obtain this information from
- the Bookstore. Explain that you need the information for an alternate media order.
- the Bookstore website.
- Course instructor or department/Division office.
- For assistance, contact a DSS counselor or LD Specialist.
For Class Handouts or Supplemental Materials
- First, ask instructor to provide material directly
- by emailing to the Alt Media Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- as an electronic file on a USB flash drive.
- by printing it in large print, if applicable to you.
- If not available from instructor, submit print materials to Alt Media Specialist.
- Attach an Alt Media Request form.
- Provide entire quarter's materials together, if possible.
- Provide as early in the quarter as possible.
For Exams in Alternate Media
- See your DSS Counselor or LD Specialist to complete a Test Accommodation Authorization Form.
- Follow the Steps for Test Accommodations.
- The Test Proctor will arrange for your alternate test materials AFTER you have made your testing appointments.
- Coordinate testing appointments for the entire quarter, if possible.
Resolve any problems in order to submit your "Request Form" in a timely manner.
A timely "Request" form is required.
- to your receiving your alternate media as soon as possible.
- Adequate time is necessary for alt media specialist to
- research sources,
- obtain alternate media from off-campus sources,
- or produce it on campus.
If you cannot complete your "Request Form"
- Contact your DSS counselor or LD Specialist as soon as possible to problem-solve--
- if book information is unavailable.
- if you have difficulty obtaining class handouts.
- if you encounter other obstacles.
Turn "Request Forms" in to the Alternate Media Specialist
- The Alt Media Specialist will determine whether
- the electronic format is available to order from an off-campus source.
- you will need to provide a print copy to be scanned.
- Requests may require proof of purchase.
For Handouts & Supplemental Materials
- Follow instructions in Step 4, above.
- Follow instructions in Step 4, above.
Pick up Alternate Media Materials in DSS Office
Disability Support Services, Registration & Student Services Building (RSS 141)
Monday, Thursday 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Fridays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Check DSS website for Summer Session hours
Got questions not answered here?
Return to top
Return to general Alternate Media Services page.
Go to Alternate Media Guidelines page.