About COUN 200: Orientation to College
Who Should Take This Course?
All students (*) must take COUN 200: Orientation to College, except if you have an A.A./A.S. degree or higher, or are taking classes for personal enrichment only.
Reasons to Take COUN 200
The state of California requires that every student receive an orientation to college!
- You will learn what you will need to know to accomplish your academic goal, whether you are working toward an Associate degree and/or to transfer to a university.
- You will learn about general education (GE), major requirements and college degrees.
- You'll receive a printed Orientation Guide for reference. Jump ahead and download the orientation guide now!
Important Steps To Prepare for COUN 200
- Apply online to De Anza. Then look for an email confirmation with your Student ID. If you plan to start classes during fall, remember to apply for summer so that you can take COUN 200 before fall quarter begins.
- Take Placement tests. Take the English or ESL and math placement tests 3 weeks before the first COUN 200 class meeting (**see exceptions). Take the Chemistry placement test if you are planning to take Biology 6A or Chemistry 1A. Take the Biology 40A Placement Test if you are planning to take Biology 40A.
- Consult the Schedule of Classes for COUN 200 class times. See the COUN 200 open course list for the best chances of finding a date and time that works for you.
- Log in to MyPortal to register for COUN 200 during the **new student registration period. For help, see How to Register for Classes. Note: If you attended De Anza while in high school and are having trouble registering, please see registration alert below.
**New student summer 2013 registration dates: Registration for COUN 200 will be open from May 11-24. New student registration for all other summer classes begins June 13. If you missed the May window, you may register for open COUN 200 classes on June 13 and after.
- Ask your high school or any other colleges attended to send De Anza a copy of your official transcripts. Please complete a Prerequisite Clearance Request form to submit a SEALED copy of your transcripts to the Assessment Office for evaluation.
- To verify your class date, time and location, log in to myportal.fhda.edu, click the Students Tab, and follow the View Your Class Schedule link under Resources.
** Exceptions for placement tests:
- You do not have to take an English placement test if you have completed a college course equivalent to EWRT 1A. You must submit a Prerequisite Clearance Request to verify that you have completed this course at another college.
- You do not have to take the placements tests if you have taken the Advanced Placement testing at your high school and have qualifying scores. You must submit a Prerequisite Clearance Request to verify your scores.
MyPortal System Alert for New Students
If you are a new student who previously attended De Anza while in high school, and you are having trouble registering inside MyPortal, e-mail Binh Thai at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Need help with MyPortal? First see the Registration Guide for Students. If a MyPortal tool is not working as described, fill out the A&R Help Form to report the problem
|The final responsibility for successfully achieving an educational goal rests with the student. Information online is designed to be helpful; however, this information changes frequently. It is recommended that students consult catalogs, schedule of classes, counselors/academic advisers, departments and universities to confirm an educational plan.