2009-2010 Program and Team News
As the 2009-2010 school year comes to an end, the De Anza College Athletics team has much to celebrate. Overall, it has been a very good year.
Student Athlete 2009-2010 Achievements
- 10 All-Americans
- 17 All-Californians
- 5 Coast Conference Championships (4 second place teams)
- 4 Coast Conference Individual Sport Champions:
- Jessica Paranthama -Conference Women’s Cross Country Champ
- Kankunda Phukchampa - Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Champ in singles and doubles
- Diane Lutran was Coast Conference Champion in Doubles Tennis.
- Praadnya Shah was named Coast Conference Player of the Year Badminton
- Football won a Bowl game for the first time in over 22 years.
- Men’s Soccer won the Conference Championship for the 20th time in their history. That’s a lot of championships.
- Women’s Cross Country team finished 5th in the State. The Highest finish in 33 years
- Women’s Tennis team were the State Runners-Up
- Women’s Swimming & Diving Team had Conference Champions in 6 events
- Men's and Women's Track & Field Teams had Conference Champions in 9 events
- The Men’s Cross Country team had the best team GPA in the State for any team in any sport.
Scholar Teams and Athletes
Three De Anza scholar-teams place highest team grade in California for their sport, including Men's Cross Country, which achieved the best team GPA in the state for any team in any sport!
- Women's Tennis 3.31 Team GPA
- Women's Track & Field 3.28 Team GPA
- Men's Cross Country 3.44 Team GPA
- Average 22 student-athletes with a 4.00 GPA per quarter
- Average 135 student-athletes with a 3.00 GPA per quarter
Coast Conference Awards and Coach Recognition
- De Anza College is the Coast Conference All Sports Champion (three years in a row).
- We had two Coast Conference Coaches of the Year and one NorCal Coach of the Year
- Radu Milevschi coached the USA at the Junior Pan AM games in Puerto Rico for the sport of Badminton.
- Pete Raykovich coached the USA National Youth team in International Swim competitions in Europe.
- Two of our coaches were inducted into Athletics Hall of Fame. (Cheryl Owiesny and Colin Lindores)
- One of our coaches, Emily Schmit, passed the California Bar Exam and is now also an attorney as well as coach.
- Four sophomore scholar-athletes will receive a combined $3500 in academic scholarship money from the Athletics Department.
- Many student-athletes will transfer, many with athletics scholarships.
Congratulations to our entire Athletics Team at De Anza!