Placement Test: English As Second Language (ESL)
|Is English your second language? If yes, you should take the ESL Placement Test. See more information for full details.
About the Test
The ESL placement test includes two (2) parts:
- 30-minute timed writing sample, and
- One-hour timed multiple choice reading comprehension test, administered on a computer.
- Download Sample test questions (PDF) to help your prepare for the test.
- View ESL Course Sequence (PDF) to see ESL course prerequisites.
Scheduling Your Test Appointment
- Tests are given by appointment. Students may test on a stand-by basis if seats are. available but appointments are recommended.
- Students are advised to take placement test well in advance of registration.
- ESL Placement Test Results may take 3 weeks or more to be ready.
Day of Test
- Bring photo ID (required).
- Know your De Anza 8-digit Student ID.
- Arrive at Assessment Office 15 minutes before test time. Confirm your test date and time.
- Bring several pencils.
Get Test Results
- Results are posted on your My Portal. Click Registration Tab and look for test result link under My Records.
Who should take the ESL Placement Test?
- All English as a Second Language students who wish to register for any ESL course should take the ESL test.
- Students who have tested or completed ESL courses at other colleges (including Foothill students) must test at De Anza unless they have completed a course equivalent to De Anza's college level ESL 5 with grade C or better.
- Students whose strongest language is not English and who have not studied 6 or more years in a school where all courses were taught in English are advised to take the ESL test
- Students must wait for ESL Test placement results before they are eligible to take the English Placement Test. English test is advised only for ESL students who place into Advanced ESL courses or have passed advanced ESL courses.